Thursday, May 28, 2015

Yuureitou (The Ghost Tower) by Nogizaka Tarou

Yuureitou by Nogizaka Tarou (2010-2014)

My Category: 20th Century Drama-Mystery



Completed: 9 volumes, 80 chapters. Scanlated by Outerworld Scans, formerly known as Lively Scans. Currently 66 chapters scanlated.

Synopsis: Amano Taichi is a hopeless NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training) with no talents or hobbies except to read dirty magazines and mystery novels. Attempting to get a job, he gains employment at a mysterious clock tower, where a gruesome murder occurred two years ago. When someone attempts to kill him in the exact same way, a beautiful young man called Sawamura Tetsuo saves Amano and offers him a proposition: join him in unlocking the mysterious clock tower's secrets, and have a share of the priceless treasures that are hidden in its depths. But others are after the treasure too. Who is the mysterious Tetsuo, and what are his true motives?

Warning: Contains horror and gruesome scenes, as well as smutty images.

Overall, 8/10.


Story: 9/10

The story is quite brilliantly executed, and does not require much suspension of belief or invoke skepticism. I've not read many mysteries before, but I am rather impressed with this one. There are many hints and clues throughout the whole story that keeps you thinking and guessing. Obviously I can't reveal much of the story since it's a mystery, but I can tell you that the author mixed character relationships, psychological aspects, human morality, gender discrimination into this mystery, and it made for a very nice blend. There were a lot of side-tracking done before they got to the heart of the matter with the clock tower, but it was quite alright, the mini arcs were interesting enough. All of the arcs deal with human identity, desire and morals in one way or another, which was a good thing for me.


Characters: 8/10

Ahaha. The characters. Hmm... A very unusual gang, and they are often not what you think they were. The cast drives home the point that 'everyone has a secret'. Almost every character has his or her own twist, some facet of personality you wouldn't have associated with them, and all have their own quirks. Even Amano, for me, was surprisingly smarter that I would've given him credit for. As his character developed, he really manned up and became someone I could root for, compared to the whiny, directionless and motiveless boy he was in the beginning.

Tetsuo of course, was the big mystery right from the start, and you learn the truth about him slowly, in pieces and then in full. A slightly complex character, and along with Amano the main characters of Yuureitou. Their developing relationship was handled very well.

Marube is one creepy bastard, but he has his motives and reasons. I can't say that I like him nor dislike him. His ruthlessness has its charms, I suppose. And the other characters too, have their own unique configurations. Funnily enough, I can't say I really like any particular character; they are all essential and a part of what makes Yuureitou.

Also as a note, a big issue in Yuureitou is gender identity, preferences, and the whole LGBT gender issues in general. Many characters in Yuureitou struggle with their gender identity and preferences.






Art: 9/10

I have no complaints with the artwork either, everything is very well drawn, and suits the style and tone of Yuureitou very much. I had my doubts because I didn't like the art in Team Medical Dragon, which Nogizaka Tarou-sensei drew, but I really liked the execution in Yuureitou (and no overload of action lines!) The drawings tends towards a more realistic style and proportions.

A minor gripe I have is with the way Tetsuo is presented in the illustrations; all smutty and sexy poses, which is in sharp contrast to what Tetsuo himself acts and thinks. I suppose it's fanservice, but it is disconcerting.

Enjoyment: 8/10

Overall I enjoyed Yuureitou and might even read it again, though I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites. A read I would and could recommend people to give a try.

Overall, 8/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment